Friday, March 21, 2008

The Cost of Warfare is Too Great (in money and lives)

I recently added the 'Cost of War' counter provided by National Priorities: The Cost of War. This counter shows how much money is going towards the funding of the war in Iraq. When you glance at the counter, you notice that the total is already in the trillions of dollars range! You also notice that the counter increases by a thousand dollars in less than a second. On the actual site, they tell you that it costs United States taxpayers about $341 million a day to wage war in Iraq!

It may be hard to comprehend how much money is actually going into the Iraq war, but if you look at how much the United States spent in World War II, you come to grips with it rather quickly. Throughout the whole World War II campaign, the United States spent $341 billion, and all of the allied powers spent $1 trillion dollars. In the recent Iraq war, the US has already spent MORE than $500 billion! I know that inflation has to be factored in for the cost that was spent back in the middle of the twentieth century versus now, but it is still rather amazing that this much money is being thrown into the war effort!

Not only is the cost, in monetary value quite appalling, but soldiers are dying in Iraq, and Iraqi citizens are dying as well. There does not seem to be an end in sight to the war, and yet soldiers are continually subjected to this more than hostile environment. BUT, as I have said, not only are soldiers dying, but Iraqi people are dying as well! We have to think about the lives the soldiers, but, we must also think about the effect this incursion has had on the people of Iraq. Terrorist activities have increased in Iraq since the United States 'freed the Iraqi people' from Saddam Hussein.

I have also heard rumours that the US government or at least President Bush would like to take action against Iran if they become a 'threat.' I seems as if they aren't learning their lessons from Iraq, and to quote a saying that Bush once used to talk about Saddam Hussein, "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" (the only difference in my quote and President Bush's is that I stated it correctly).


3 comments:

Heather the Fabulous One... said...

i like your stuff...i dont think youre too critical at all...i prefer people to call it like they see it...

drop on by where im at to get your daily dose of randomosity...

www.intheknowwithhpro.com

DC said...

thanks for the comment. I'm glad that you enjoy my posts, and when I get a chance, I'll have to check out your blog.

I love 'randomosity/randomness, most things in this world revolve around it!

JAMJARSUPERSTAR said...

I love your posts - here in the UK no one dares to speak out (dunno why, it's not like we get locked up for it) so it's great to see someone telling it exactly as they see it - PLEEEASE keep it up.
Oh, and stop by my blogs if you have time. It's not about anything political (I've noticed that that's hypocritical of me) but it's quite fun - HPRO says so too.

http://scarletsculturegarden.blogspot.com
http://jamjarsuperstar.blogspot.com