Sunday, August 31, 2008

Prominent Newfoundland Historian & Personal Influence Passes Away

Dr. Leslie Harris passed away August 26th, 2008. While he may be a relative unknown person to some people, he has greatly influenced my university career. I was not always a history major, as I dabbled in other departments before I settled on history. Reading articles written by Dr. Leslie Harris not only made me want to be able to do that some day, but his writing has also influenced the way I perceive Newfoundland history. Late in my Undergraduate career, in researching for my dissertation, I have used Dr. Harris' articles as a background to my topic. I never knew Dr. Harris personally, but I am sure he was well loved by all that knew him.

Not only has he influenced me, but his legacy at Memorial University of Newfoundland will never be forgotten. He was the head of the History Department, President, and even has a centre within the university named after him.

He will be greatly missed, but will live on through his legacy, and for me, through his articles.

DR. LESLIE HARRIS: October 24th, 1929 - August 26th, 2008
(see his official obituary here)

0 comments: